Sasha Wallace is an experienced Project Manager in NHS Continuing Care who works as an external Coach and Mentor for the NHS Leadership Academy.
NHS organisations can book 1:1 sessions for individual members of staff and plan team workshops on areas such as transition, resilience, stress management, effective communication and work/life balance.
What is mentoring?
“Mentoring is to support and encourage people to manage their own learning in order that they may maximise their potential, develop their skills, improve their performance and become the person they want to be.” Eric Parsloe, The Oxford School of Coaching & Mentoring.
- Off-line support to encourage innovation and creativity, through an external sounding board able to challenge assumptions
- Working beyond professional/organisational boundaries, to develop wider understanding and recognise the ‘bigger picture’
- Development of leadership skills for inevitable ongoing changes: ‘time out’ to reflect on own and others’ learning and leadership approaches
- Feedback, challenge and support from an impartial person, able to ask powerful questions and unlock potential
What happens during a mentoring session?
A skilled mentor will use a combination of questioning, listening, observation and feedback to create a conversation that is rich in insight and learning. Your mentor will listen to you to find out who you are, what you think and what your current situation is. Your mentor will encourage you to overcome obstacles and take action, using their own experience as a guide.
Mentoring can be an informal practice or a formal program. Mentees observe, question, and explore. Mentors demonstrate, explain and model. Goals will be set at the start of the mentoring relationship, to give focus. These goals will be reviewed on an on-going basis, to ensure a focus to the meetings.
Is Mentoring in confidence? Your line manager needs to support your application for coaching/mentoring, as well as give you the time and space for it. Mentoring and coaching are based on trust and openness, and the content of your sessions is confidential.
Sasha Wallace Horizons provides mentoring sessions for NHS employees on a range of areas including:
- Time Management
- Work/Life Balance
- Stress Management and Building Resilience
- Career and Leadership Development
- Communication and Confidence
- Health and Wellbeing
Please CONTACT Sasha Wallace for an in-confidence discussion.